Thursday, January 25, 2007

Where's weather?

I am sure you've heard about Alaska, the Canadian Rockies, and the great lake region getting plenty of snow this winter. I am happy for them but I am beginning to worry about California.

California, at least the northern part of the state (I have difficulty thinking of anything south of Santa Barbara as being part of The Bear Republic.) where I live has a summer-dry climate. That means ALL of our water falls in the winter. So far, very little water has fallen. The Sierra snow pack is below average. The creeks are dry, when they should be running high. The grass on the hillsides is brownish instead of the lush green of winters past. We haven't had any serious rain since November. I have a feeling we are heading into problems this summer.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Sounds like it indeed.