Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oldest son

My oldest son is a paratrooper in the 503rd. He is probably the meanest, angriest, most hostile, belligerent, and dangerous (in a physical way) person I know. He actually enjoys fighting, even when he loses the fight. His body is so strong that he seems barely human. And he is a master of all of his weapons. His chest is dripping with qualification badges. I am proud of him for his single mindedness. I am grateful that our society has a place for men like him. I am very proud of his success in the profession of arms, but more and more that ethos of fighting falls into my past as I work out my salvation, and it becomesdifficult for us to relate to each other. Oddly, one area where we can talk is ancient history. He and I both know the ancient wars. In particular, we were able to talk for a long time about the battle depicted in this movie. I can hardley wait for it to come out.

No comments: