Wednesday, January 24, 2007

dating and the nanny state

I read this article about Big Brother's intrusion into the affairs of the heart. It doesn't matter to me as an individual, since I am now married, but when I was single this mattered to me quite a bit. Why? Because most of my time was spent at 2 places: Church and work. I tended not to go after the women at church, for obvious reasons. But I always considered the women at work fair game. That is until that first sexual harrassment training. It was horrible. One of the women in the room, with whom I'd been out a couple of times, said, "Wow! I'd hate to be a man."

Anyway, that was kind of a tangent. Looking back, over my single years (way too many of them) I can see several situations where I was "harrased" (always too my liking). Once, and this is the tie-in to the article linked above, by an x-ray technician, another time by a nurse. I enjoyed it. Since, in both instances they were the primary actors I can only assume they enjoed the little flirtation, too.

So why do I care about this now? Because I have sons. I want them to have the broadest possible selection of women available to them when they reach the age to pick wives. I expect them to pursue any unmarried woman they want. I don't want them to feel limited by silly laws. Of course, the Western tradition is that an immoral law is no law. Alas, that is not the case for silly laws.

No comments: