Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Dentistry on the Cheap, The Race Card, Bono

A co-parishoner of mine is studying for a D.D.S. degree at the University of the Pacific. She is in her 3rd year and needs volunteer patients. I volunteered. So, today I went up to San Francisco to have my teeth worked on. It was really neat to watch all the young dentists in training. Most looked like they were about 23 years old. Very eager. (My teeth are fine but I am going to get a gold bridge to make up for two teeth I lost a few years ago.)
_____

The tenant that I am having trouble with played the race card today. I hate that. Especially, since I let them move in even though...

1) They did not meet our credit requirements
2) I had to give them 2 months to pay their security deposit (ordinarily I require that on the day of move in)
3) they did not meet the income requirements.
4) they did not have good work histories.

Why, you ask, did I let them move in? Because they were living in their car, and having once lived in a car myself, I felt sorry for them.

My boss came to talk to me about it. I hate that too. This is the first time in a couple of weeks that I have had to talk to her, and it is about a five page letter a tennant wrote to her complaining about me.

Thankfully, when I was in school to get certified for this job I was told "if it isn't in the log it didn't happen". I log everything, and I write letters to tenants more often than I talk to them. I don't know who invented writing but I am very happy they did. My boss was very happy to read the log, the letters from me to the problem tenant, and letters from other tenants about the problem tenant.

So, am I in trouble? No. All records support me and make the problem tenants look like paranoid lunatics. But I feel like people I tried to help are super-ungrateful and trying to hurt me, and it makes me sad that they are so unhappy. If they are so unhappy that they feel like they need to write a five page letter of complaint, I have failed. After keeping the owner of the property from getting sued, protecting the property, and keeping all of the apartments rented, my number one priority is to keep all the tenants happy. And these people are not happy.

And it just drives me nuts that they think it is because of their race. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with them breaking rules. And besides that, 9/15 of my tenants are of a race other than mine, and they don't break rules!
____

Oh, this is the second day of the Dormition Fast. Here is what I have learned so far in this fast: I really miss eating.
____

Besides all of that, Bono gives an interesting interview.
____

Caffine units: 1
Alcohol units: 0
Tobacco units:0
Tenant issues:2
Pills for neck: 4 (My physician is rotating me through drugs so I don't become adapted to them. Now I am on Celebrex.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Sweet cousin Matt, please be very careful taking Celbrex. It has been known to cause strokes. In fact my Dr's feel it may have been a contibuting factor to my 1st of 3 strokes in a 6 month period in 2003. May I offer this prayer for your healing?
Father, in the name of Your Son Jesus I come before You confessing Your Word concerning Matt's healing. As I do this, I beleive and say that Your Word will not return to You void, but will accomplish that which it says it will do. I beleive in the Almighty name of Jesus that Matt IS healed, according to Your Word (1 Peter 2:24). Your Word says that Jesus Himself took on our infirmities and bore our sickness and pain. Therefore, with great boldness and faith I say to the authority You have given me in Your Word that Matt is redeemed from the curse of this sickness and pain and he refuses to tolerate it's symptoms. I Thank You Father God for Matt's healing. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen

Love ya cuz, Robin

Matt said...

Thanks, Robin.