Saturday, July 17, 2010

Good Vibrations: Saturday Soundtrack

Once again, the song I'm putting up here is one I first emmenating from my older brother Mark's (My mother and Ronald Reagan were Beach Boys fans, too.) room sometime between 1975 and 1979. There are other good Beach Boys songs but this one is associated with a very vivid memory from my several years (1982-1987) in Tampa. One Saturday a friend and I went to a water park called Adventure Island. It was one of the best days I ever had. And as I was reclining at the edge of a wave pool I heard this song. It just seemed to sum up the day and my hopes for the future.

The song was released by the Beach Boys in 1966 and immediately became a number one hit. Brian Wilson, the author and producer called it his pocket symphony. Mojo Magazine called the song "The Greatest Single Ever". Rolling Stone magazine ranked it #6 on their list of Greatest Songs of All Time.

No comments: