Sunday, November 22, 2009

Church and Bowling

This morning we went to St. Nicholas Church in Saratoga. I am astounded by how much Fr. Basil can pack into a five minute homily. The Gospel for this day seemed especially appropriate as we approach the holiday shopping season: The rich man who tore down his barns to build bigger barns. Reminds me that I need to decide where to send my little bit of alms. Sometimes I wish I was very rich so I could give away more money. Then I remember that, compared to most people who have ever lived and are living now, I am very rich. And then I beg for mercy. Will my three coats and a sweater testify against me on the day of judgment?

Tonight, Athanasia, Anselm Samuel, Basil Wenceslas, and I went bowling to help Anselm earn his Cub Scout Bowling Belt Loop. Anselm's first roll of the ball resulted in a strike. In fact, he won the game! I came in 2nd, Basil 3rd, Athanasia, who was afraid of sliding down the lane (you know they oil them) came in last. It was a lot of fun.

No comments: