Saturday, July 25, 2009

You Light Up My Life: Saturday Soundtrack

I was in the second grade and still working on my sense of humor. I rewrote the words to You Light Up My Life, changing the words to indicate an intense desire to be left alone. The famous chorus I changed to:

You loused up my life.
You took my hope
and pushed me down
Below the waves
and filled my day
with gloom.


What I did not know was that many of the kids in my second grade class at Sunnyvale Christian School had been told that the original song was a bout God. (It wasn't. It was written as part of the soundtrack to a romantic comedy.) I was scolded by a teacher and sent to the office. I really hated being in school as a kid.

This is Debby Boone's Grammy Awards performance. The song was orignally recorded by Kasey Cisyk for the film You Light Up My Life, in which Didi Conn(Frency in Grease.) lyp-syncd it.

No comments: