Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Is this the reason we have been ill all winter?

Sophia had this on her blog. I copied it to here.

When our good and all-gracious Lord and Master sees people too lazy in their exercises, He lays their flesh low with sickness, an asceticism with less toil; and sometimes it also cleanses the soul from evil thoughts or passions.

St. John Climacus, "The Ladder of Divine Ascent," (Boston: Holy Transfiguration Monastery, 1978), Step26: On Discernment of Thoughts, Passions and Virtue
This, certainly, applies to me, but not, I think, to my children. Unless, maybe the whole family suffers because of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a thought that makes many uncomfortable. On the surface it makes God seem mean, but sometimes love hurts. God disciplines those He loves. And I don't think we ever sin in isolation. Our sin, unfortunately, affects others in the body. When one part is sick, the whole body feels sick. However, I'm not saying that's the case with your situation.