Thursday, January 01, 2009

Time Just Rockets On

Time just rockets on and every day and every night is filled with whirling activity. I hardly know what day it is. I know it is New Years Day/Circumcision of Jesus/St. Basils Day. But don't ask me if it is Tuesday or Thursday i have no idea.

I think it was the 30th I took Anselm Samuel ice-skating and to his favorite restaurant, the Original Joe's. We sit at the counter and watch the waiters and the cooks do their work.

Yesterday I had planned on going to vespers but was pushed back by electrical problems. So, Anselm and i sat up to welcome the new year. We watched the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol staring Alastair Sim. But the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come scared him and he went to bed just 15 minutes before midnight.

Today I woke up very sick. Cough hack cough hack. Went back to bed at 10 and slept another 90 minutes. I still don't have a voice.

This afternoon we made a big meal for the feast.

Menu
Salad of toasted walnuts, feta cheese, and red leaf lettuce, with a raspberry dressing
Smoked trout dip on whole wheat crackers
Roast beef infused with onion, rosemary, sage, and bacon
Steamed artichokes with mayonnaise
Roasted fennel bulbs, fingerling and new potatoes
A magnum of Anchor Brewing's "Our Special Ale 2008"
A bottle of Martinelli's sparkling apple cider
Vasilopita


It was my first Vasilopita. Both boys helped me make it. When it came time to eat it we prayed for St. Basil to bless the person who found the coin. Basil Wenceslas found the coin.

Anselm Samuel and I delivered 8th Day of Christmas presents to some nephews and nieces. Read the Christmas portion of The Wind in the Willows.

I just read read something and thought you might like to read it. Click HERE to go to the article.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

It seems only appropriate that Basil found the coin, don't you think?