Friday, September 12, 2008

Judgement, Forgiveness, and Continuing the Work

The American Church has heard or read the report of the Special Investigating Committee headed by Bishop Benjamin of San Francisco. I don't want to address the contents of the report here; too sad to recount. But I do want to talk about the response of some to the contents of the report.

Those who were the worst actors have have been removed from office. One has been canonically deposed. One bishop has been effectively banished to one small parish. Those who knew something was wrong but did not act to protect the Church from bad actors will have to live with that shame. For some people in the Church this does not seem to be enough. They desire... Well, I'm not sure what they desire; Four bishops deposed? Three more priests deposed? Shall they be excommunicated and anathematized, too? I'm sure some would say yes.

But I disagree with those who want more punishment. The Holy Synod has obeyed St. Paul and has rebuked the wrong doers in public. Now they must forgive. And the whole Church must forgive. If we don't we go to Hell. At least, I will, as my sins are worse than the things those men are guilty of. I am sure that if God accepts me at the chalice, he accepts those failed bishops and priests (and a couple of laymen, too), too.

In coming months we will be choosing a new Metropolitan. Let us pray that we find the man God wants in that see. And let us remember to look far and wide, as no Canon requires the Metropolitan be chosen from among the existing bishops, or even from the clergy.

2 comments:

Athanasia said...

I am grateful for your level headedness Matt. I agree with your thoughts 100%. Thanks for sharing them.

Mimi said...

As do I, thank you.

Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy