Sunday, September 21, 2008

An Addition to Prayer

In general, I am reluctant to add things to the morning and evening prayer services. I just do what's in the prayerbook. But I have been having a hard time of late. In fact, for the last few days I've actually been feeling sorry for myself; no more dangerous ground than that, and I have learned that this prayer (I first read it on Leah's blog) makes me very happy. It is part of morning prayers now.

What shall I give Thee, Lord, in return for all Thy kindness?
Glory to Thee for Thy love.
Glory to Thee for Thy mercy.
Glory to Thee for Thy patience.
Glory to Thee for forgiving us all our sins.
Glory to Thee for coming to save our souls.
Glory to Thee for Thine incarnation in the Virgin’s womb.
Glory to Thee for Thy bonds.
Glory to Thee for receiving the cut of the lash.
Glory to Thee for accepting mockery.
Glory to Thee for Thy crucifixion.
Glory to Thee for Thy burial.
Glory to Thee for Thy resurrection.
Glory to Thee who were preached to men and women.
Glory to Thee in whom they believed.
Glory to Thee who were taken up into Heaven.
Glory to Thee who sit in great glory at the Father’s right hand.
Glory to Thee whose will it is that the sinner should be saved through Thy great mercy and compassion.

~St Ephraim the Syrian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that prayer...I may add it to my prayer arsenal. I like prayers along these lines early vin the morning as a way to help focus my day.

could you send me this prayer in an email? I'd like to send it to some other people as well.

jeff miller said...

Wait..I' not anonymous...I reallt exist in the space-time continuum

Matt said...

Done. I also sent you a biography of St. Ephraim.