Tuesday, April 08, 2008

This Day

We have had a pretty good day. The boys and I went on a long walk and picked fruit from the tress along the roads. Right now the loquats are ripe. They were a new experience for Anselm and Basil. Later the plums and figs will be ripe. I love living in California.

At the end of the street we found to old tire. The boys took turns sitting in it and I pushed them around. It scared Basil, but Anselm loved it.

As a goal for lent I've been trying something new this year. In the past we've bought "fast foods" that were pretty extravagant. But this year we aren't buying a lot of crabs scallops and shrimp. But today I was just kind of sick of bagels and peanut butter. And guess what? While looking in the freeser I found a bag of frozen scallops, shrimp and calamari left there from last Nativity Fast!!! Well, I had a bunch of spring garlic, some wilted leeks, two cans of tomato sauce, and a bay leaf. Basil and I chopped the herbs, and made a sauce. I found some frozen mushrooms and threw them in, too. Then the seafood. I had a old bag of linguini. Boiled that up. When Anslem saw what we made he got very excited. "I love pasta! I love calamari!"

It makes me happy to make food the boys enjoy.

Tomorrow, I guess its back to day old bagels and peanut butter.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Good things.