Monday, April 21, 2008

Lazarus Saturdy/Palm Sunday/Holy Week

Lazarus Saturday we visited my goddaughters and their parents in SF who live on the Great Highway and thus have a fabulous view of the Pacific Ocean. We had caviar and champagne and vodka in honor of the resurrection of St. Lazarus. We had a great time and even found a store right around the block from where they live that sells kulich. This last item is very important because the fire from a few weeks ago destroyed our oven and we haven't had it replaced. Which means we were kind of in a bind for Pascha.

Palm Sunday was great. I think if the parish grows anymore we are going to have to utilize the balcony. It was originally built for the choir, but the choir doesn't like it up there so they near the north deacon door. There was another baptism on Sunday. (Many years to the newly illumined Stephen!) It is pretty amazing to me that we have this growth without a parking lot. The service itself was what Orthodox services always are, beautiful and true. I rarely weep during the services but when I heard the troparion I became a flood. I don't know why it hit me like tat this year, it never has before. Maybe because I miss my parents and can hardly wait to see them again. After the service we ate salmon together. The same kind woman makes it every year.

Well, it is holy week. This will be my last post until Pacha. Have a good week. Make a good confession if you haven't already. I'll see you on the other side.

2 comments:

DebD said...

What great remembrances. I had two Protestant friends unexpectedly show up for Palm Sunday, so I was...uh, rather distracted. But overall it was a lovely service and my kids enjoyed the procession around the church (as always).

Mimi said...

Many Years to the newly Illumined Stephen. And, I'm glad you got some Kulich, I'd somehow missed that you'd lost your oven.

May it be a Blessed Holy Week for you and yours!