Sunday, July 22, 2007

Things overheard waiting for HP7

Friday night at 10:30 pm I woke Anselm, got him dressed and into the car and drove to the Borders Bookstore on University Ave. in Palo Alto. (It is located in the renovated movie palace where I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show many many years ago.) We got in line at 11:56pm. It was nuts. The police came through. Fire fighters were on hand. There were hundreds of people in the street. We heard some strange things standing in line.

1. "Yeah I just flew in from Austin an hour ago. But I had to come here and get the book before I could even think of going to my hotel."
2. "Why are the stormtroopers here?"
3. "Hey! Watch it with that wand, buddy!"
4. "Next person who gets on the fountain will be arrested. (Announced by a fire marshal flanked by two police officers."
5. "I'm not well known in the industry at large, but in the world IEEE standards I'm pretty famous."
6. Girl dressed like Hermione Granger #1: "Is she supposed to be Prof. McGonnagle?" Girl dressed like hermione Granger #2: "Only if Prof. McGonnagle is a slut."
7. "Actually, the stormtroopers aren't as strange as the 40 year old women dressed up like witches."
8. "We saw Skynard at Shoreline tonight. I held my lighter up for the whole song and totally melted it. Wanna see my thumb?" (Said by the drunken whisky smelling "dude! Its Summer!" elementery school teacher standing in line in front of us.)
9. "My iPhone is the first thing I touch in the morning and the last thing I touch at night."
10. "This is fun, Dad. I love Harry Potter." (Said by Anselm, who until that night had never even heard of Harry Potter.)

We stood in line for just over two hours. I bought book #7 for Athanasia and myself . I bought book #1 for Anselm. (For those who think Harry Potter is Satanic please look here.) Oh, in case you are interested, I read through to the end of chapter 24 on Saturday. But I haven't read any today since my wife had me building shelves, renting trucks, and moving furniture. I'll try to finish Monday night.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Giggling - some of those are interesting observations.

I'm done, when you are, I look forward to your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

We have two young cousins who went to the bookstore party as Fred and George. Only thing is...they didn't need to dress up at all! They are red-heads and identical twins!

Let book, and prize, in hand!

D. I. Dalrymple said...

Hilarious quotes!