Sunday, July 15, 2007

Blast from the Past

My childhood and, I suppose, my adulthood (though I'm such a stuffed shirt), was formed in the midst of the Jesus People movement. (What does it mean to label something a movement?) So I sometimes find myself looking for Keith Green on YouTube, or looking for old issues of Cornerstone magazine. I also always notice when the movement shows up in the traditionalist Christian press.

A story I just read at First Things today contains this chuckle inducing paragraph: "Their conversions to Bible-believing Christianity were not the sort to rejoice the hearts of suburban, middle-class parents. The intelligence that one’s runaway daughter had given her life to Christ, been baptized in a bathtub, and taken up residence with a bunch of barefoot, long-haired, guitar-strumming, tongues-speaking twenty-year-olds in a place called Maranatha House was only marginally less disturbing to the average Methodist mother than the news that the same daughter had moved in with a professional tabla drummer and changed her name to Windflower." You can read the whole article here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At lunch time on my way to you, I was listening to NPR's "Talk of the Nation." They were talking about younger generations finding religion. I tuned in at the tail end of a call from a woman that converted to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholocism. Here is the link and the beginning of the teaser off the NPR web site: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12062560

Religion
The Younger Generation Finds Religion


Talk of the Nation, July 18, 2007 · Recent articles have reported that young adults are turning to religion to the surprise — and sometimes chagrin — of their less observant parents. Guests discuss God and the generation gap, and why parents aren't always thrilled when their children become more obaservant."

I wonder how Basil and Anselm will choose to rebell against us. Maybe Anselm will turn his head at martini's :-)and Basil will be too smart and healthy to ever even consider overeating.