Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hierarchy

Recently, a certain priest in my Church has been criticized for, maybe, over-promoting the ideas of St. Dionysius the Areopagite. (Or, perhaps they were really the ideas of an anonymous writer known as Pseudo-Dionysius,who lived 400 or 500 years later. No one seems to know for sure.) I myself was once admonished by my dogmatics professor not to be "enthralled with P-D when thinking abour the Holy Mysteries." But it is difficult think St. Dionysius was wrong. Especially when what he wrote comports so well with Holy Scripture, and the teaching St. Ignatius of Antioch's description of the hierarchy in the local church, with Philo's explaination of the relationship between God and the Logos, and even the physical world.

My friend Matt brings to our attention an interview (in the Jerusalem Post) of George Gilder which contains this line: "The universe is hierarchical," says Gilder, with the intensity of someone racing to keep up with a mind constantly in overdrive. "And hierarchy points to a summit. The summit remains enclosed in fog, but this doesn't exclude the possibility that behind the fog is a divinity that we, through our faith, might worship."

If you have never heard of George Gilder, I would like to recommend his book Men and Marriage. This book is an amazing philosophical/sociological tour de force on manhood that is the antidote to 25 year olds who behave like 15 year olds. I read this book in the early 1990s and had no idea that Gilder was a scientist/engineer until today. Also, I thought he was much older.

----- Break----

When I was writing this earlier today I was at the park with my boys. I was using the "free" local Google WiFi network. Then the signal dissapeared. And I lost about half of what I said. It happens al the time with the Google WiFi. Such a hassle. Now I'm at a closed Starbucks, sitting in my car, connected to the Starbucks/tmobile network. It costs money but it never drops me.

No comments: