Wednesday, March 23, 2005

What I've learned so far during Lent, and other things.

What I have learned during Lent:
1) Peanut butter and honey tastes better on sourdough bread than on any other bread. The tangy-ness of the bread is a perfect compliment to the sweetness of the honey. The toughness of the crust is a beautful contrast to the creamy-ness of the peanut butter.
2) I am not worthy to be in the same Church as the 40 Martyrs of Sebaste.

In other news:
I had my anthropology final tonight. I am curious to see my grades in a couple of weeks.
I sold my books back to the bookstore. Got about $100 back on 4 books. That was good.
We got our box of vegetables from Two Small Farms. Lots of yummy things: Radishes, heritage carrots, spring garlic, green onions, kale, mixed greens. If you are not currently subscribing to a local farm and supporting community agriculture, please, consider it. The U.S.D.A. will provide you with a contact in your area.

Below is a recipe I made from the escarole that came in last weeks veggie box. It is very yummy, and if your bishop allows oil from non-olive sources Lenten, too!

Wilted Escarole
2 medium escarole (Not the root but the leafy part. The root is called chicory.) - rinsed, dried, and chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice (It took three fresh lemons to produce this much juice.)
20 dark pitted olives (I like kalamata)
3 tablespoons capers non pareil, just barely chopped
fresh ground black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste
3 Table spoons canola oil

Heat oil in jarge pan over high heat. Add escarole. Stir until escarole just egins to wilt. Stir in lemon juice. Add all other ingredients and stir for another 30 seconds. Eat.

No comments: