Tuesday, March 15, 2005

St. Patrick's Day

Having St. Patrick's Day fall during Great Lent is kind of a bummer. No corned beef. No soda bread. No whisky. But here is what I did this year: For my two oldest sons I put together a book containing the Confession of St. Patrick. I found some cool looking "celtic" fonts and some Icons of St. Patrick with the help of google. I put it all in Word. Printed it out cut the pages down to size with scissors. Glued them to green constuction paper, and bound them with green yarn. The final result looked better than I thought it would. Today, it was mailed to them with a tin of McCann's Irish Oatmeal. (they are too young for whisky, beer, or Waterford.) I haven't figured out what to do with my wife and youngest son. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Huw Richardson said...

Soda Bread can be had.... just not that Cake stuff that Americans call Soda Bread :-)

Real Irish Soda Farls look more like 9" in diameter Biscuits.

Try this recipe:

http://raphael.doxos.com/comments.php?id=P617_0_1_30

Subsitute soy milk (or better yet, soy yoghurt) for the milk.

Matt said...

Thanks! I'd not thought of substituting. I usually use Julia Childs recipe. It looks like a 9" diameter biscuit, too. I've never been to comfortable with substituting. I remember hearing a comedy routine about a woman who made Coq au Vin and substituted tuna for chicken (it was chicken of the sea) and Schlitz for wine. I also recal her doing something with cool whip instead of cream cheese. I wish I could remember the comedienne's name. She was very funny.