Sunday, August 27, 2017

Withdral

I was very agitated last night.  I couldn't sleep.  My head hurt.  On the up-side no more hallucinations.  Below are the stages of alcohol withdrawal.  I am glad I don't have all the symptoms.  I feel sorry for those who do.  I have two symptoms not on this list (which I found at American Addiction Centers):  itchy crawly skin, and pain in my elbows and knees.  Oh, there is also the headache.  I'll be glad when that goes away.


What is the Alcohol Withdrawal Timeline?

Alcohol withdrawal can be broken down into three stages:

  • Stage 1: Anxiety, insomnia, nausea, and abdominal pain characterize this stage, which begins 8 hours after the last drink.  (I'm past the nausea and stomach pains.  I still feel anxious and am having trouble sleeping.)
  • Stage 2: High blood pressure, increased body temperature, unusual heart rate, and confusion come with this stage, which begins 24-72 hours after the last drink. (I've noticed the confusion but that might or might not be from withdrawal.  I have noticed my heart speeding up and slowing down, and sometimes beating so hard it feels like pounding in my chest. This is the only symptom that worries me.  I haven't felt hot since Saturday morning.)
  • Stage 3: Hallucinations, fever, seizures, and agitation come with this stage, which tends to begin 72+ hours after the last drink.  (So far, I've only experienced only one hallucination and it wasn't scary.  No seizures.  No fever.  Anxiety since hour 4 or 5.)
All symptoms tend to decrease within 5-7 days.

No comments: