Sunday, April 22, 2012

Anywhere But California Dreamin'

I was wondering how is it that my wife and I make so much money (way over the national average) but barely skimp by.  Then I heard a story on the news talking about the extremes of the American economy.  At one end is Detroit where $400,000 gets you a 4 story, twelve thousand sq ft house on 2 acres.  And on the other side is where I live, Silicon Valley.  In my "middle class" neighborhood of Willow Glen $400,000 doesn't buy anything.  In fact, if you want a twelve hunded square foot "starter-house" on a 1/8 acre lot you are going to pay $600,000 to $800,000 for it.

My current situation remeinds me of a movie I saw about 12 years ago.  It was called "The Slums of Beverley Hills"  I won't go into the whole movie, but the important part, as far as I am concerened was that the main character of the movie was so concerend about projecting an image of proserity that he refused to live anywhere but in Beverly Hills.  So, he lived in one ding bat apartment after another, all just barely within the city limits of Beverly Hills, and all just barely out of his budget.  I do not want to be that man.


I love California.  I really do.  From the deserts to the beaches (where I was yesterday), to the fog shrouded redwood forsests, to the high Sierras.  I love it all.  But the prices are killing me.  And taxes.  I had to cash in my life insurace to pay my taxes.   I see no future for my children here.  I think pretty soon, if I can find a job somewhere else, I might be one of the people who leave California.

2 comments:

DebD said...

The DC Metro area is very similar. We're able to get by just fine, but there's little chance that we will be able to stay in the area once my dh retires (which is still a ways off, but still). It's also very stressful living in this area. Everyone I know who has moved away has said they would never come back. But still, I love this area too... we have beaches and mountains and woods all within a few hours of each other. There's a lot of cultural diversity, which I love. But, it's just SO dang expensive.

Matt said...

I totally understand the cultural diviersty aspect, too. When I lived in Tampa as a teenager, there was exactly one chinese restaurant in the whole city. Good Cuban food, though. Now that I am Orthodox it is even more important. I don't know why, but Most Orthodox Christians live in the most expensive parts of the Country: Boston, New York, and the coastal counties of California. If I moved to North Dakota where would I go to Church?