Friday, March 16, 2007

5th Lenten Email

In the church where I grew up they had things called testimony services. Essentially, every one took turns standing up and telling how how they were converted. Once, in Jamaica I was in one of these services when a very old woman stood up and began her testimony with thses lines from Amazing Grace

Through many dangers toils and trials
I have already come
'Tis grace that's brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home.

But she kept going taking a verse from this hymn and a verse from that hymn, giving her testimony in the words of those who went before her. And at a certain point people started quoting the words with her. She would get the first two or three words out and then she would be joined by two thousand other voices.

After this had been going on for a while and every eye was wet with tears she paused, pointed to the sky, raiesed her voice and said...

That Word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

Then she began to sing a Jamaican hymn, and we all sang with her...

I feel like pressing my way
I feel like pressing my way
I'm on my way to heaven and
I feel like pressing my way.

Of course, what that very old woman did was give not only her testimony, but the testimony of everyone in that room. That is why I love Lent, when more than any other time we are encouraged to read the lives of God's Holy Ones. Throughout the ages the struggle has remained about the same. And if we fight the good fight, our testimony can be the same as theirs. Of those, one of my favorites is celebrated tomorrow. His given name was Patricius but we all know him as Patrick. His testimony, in his own words is on the other side of this link: http://www.cin.org/patrick.html It makes me feel like pressing my way.

No comments: