Thursday, December 21, 2006

Fruited Molasses Balls

Every Christmas of my childhood was spent to the south east of Visalia, out in the middle of miles and miles or orchards. That is where my Aunt Nettie and Uncle Fred live. The highlight of every Christmas was eating dozens and sometimes scores of Aunt Nettie's fruited molasses balls. For me, Christmas isn't Christmas without them. (You might think I'm shallow, but you haven't tasted them yet.) The recipe is below. I hope you make some and share them with the people you love.


Matt's Aunt Nettie's Fruited Molasses Balls

1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup molassas
1 stick soft butter
2 large eggs
2 cups flower
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
24 oz. chopped dates
2 cups chopped nuts (I use pecans AND walnuts)

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs
Stir in the in the molassas
Add dry ingredients
Stir until no white flower is visible.

Pour dough into greased baking pan, bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes
Cool a little bit, but while still hot (this hurts, but what act of love doesn't?) pick up some of the dough (you've buttered your hands haven't you?) and roll it into a ball about 1.5 inches in diameter. Let cool.
Sprinkle w/ powdered sugar.

Recipe can be doubled but you'll need a very large mixing bowl.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Those do look good.

Huw Richardson said...

they are :-)

Matt said...

Huw, I'm glad you liked them. The bunch you got were actually made by your godson. He did every thig except the stirring (he's not stong enough) and the rolling into balls. (I didn't wat him to get hurt.)

He will be glad to know you enjoyed them.

GretchenJoanna said...

Terra Bella? Porterville? Lindsay? I grew up east of Visalia so we were having our Christmases very near each other - well, maybe not, because I'm old. :-)

I will try your molasses balls because one of my favorite cookies is an unfruited molasses ball type and everything is better with dates!