Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Crabbing and Gardening

On Saturday, Kathleen, the boys and I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge (Did you know that Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico is the first person to draw up plans for and promote the bridge?) to go crabbing at Ft. Baker. The sea lions kept raiding our traps but the boys did take one rock crab home to eat. After that we drove home, stopping in Chinatown, where I got steamed pork buns for the boys and Kathleen. It reminded me of Pascha 2009. It was Kathleen's first time to have them. She was amazed.
On Sunday, Kathleen and I went to Church then worked in the gaarden. We took out the last of the onions, lettuce, kale, and garlic, though we did leave one big pot of beets growing.
On Monday we took all the soil out the beds and put about 3-4 inches of straw in the bottoms of the beds, returned the soil to the beds, fertilized with bone meal, amonium nitrate, and magnesium sulfate. Finaly, we covered everything with the compost we've been making since this time last year.
Yesterday, Tuesday we moved plants from the green houses to the garden: 28 tomato plants (lots of varities), 4 spaghetti squash vines, 5 zuchinni plants (mix of green and yellow varieties), 5 wathermelon vines, beans and peas, 5 cucumber vines, and 4 eggplant bushes.
Today I am putting in another apple tree. We already have a honey crisp sappling in the ground but the one I am putting in today is a granny smith. I think it's funny to be planting trees at my age. Well, after I'm dead people will enjoy them, I hope.

No comments: