Friday, February 19, 2021

Snow and Germination

Basil at Tahoe Donner
Today is Friday.  On Monday of this week the boys and i went up to the snow.  Anselm and  did most of the driving on the way there.  We stayed at Tahoe Biltmore for two nights.  The room only had two beds so Anselm paid Basil $10 to sleep on the floor.  It's a good thing I packed three wool army blankets. 

We didn't eat out on the trip.  Instead, I packed a
Anselm at Boreal
Molinari salami
 (I used to live a block away from them in North Beach back in the mid 1990s) half a boiled ham, some sour dough bread, some dry jack, brie, mustard, turkey salad, 12 bottles of San Pellegrino and a box of navel oranges.  Clearly, I packed too much food.

On Tuesday we went to Boreal where Anselm skied and Basil and I rode down the mountain on giant inner tubes.  I was a lot of fun.  After a couple of hours Anselm was still skiing but Basil and I were tired so we went to Tahoe Donner (Kathleen is a member and made a reservation for us) to use the pool/hot tub/steam room.  But there is Covid and the hot tub and steam room were closed.  So were the showers and lockers.  About Covid:  It has turned the north sore of Lake Tahoe into a ghost town.  There were only 4 occupied rooms in our hotel and Boreal was almost empty; my guess is there were fewer than 150 people on the slopes..  Hardly anyone is up there.  The boys were asleep by 7 that night and didn't wake up until 7 on Wednesday morning.  Then we drove home.

On Thursday Kathleen and I replanted about 32 of the little 168 pots in the our green houses.  For some
reason those 32 never germinated.  Something else about the garden: Kathleen advertised our seedlings for sale and demand is more than 10 times what we have planted.  Everyone wants the heirloom tomatoes.  I think we might have stumbled into a business!





No comments: