Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Crab Season

There is more news on the crab front.

San Jose Mercury mentionsw the Governor talking about an investigation of the USCG. Does he have the authority? They also say there will plenty of crab but it won't be local. To that I can only say, what's the point of it if it isn't local? The fun is waiting all summer for crab season to start and then celebraing the beggining of the Nativity Fast with a crab. (For my non-Orthodox readers, during fasting periods such as Advent and Lent Orthodox do not eat meat or fish, but invertebrates may be et.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I miss is Dungeness Crab. In Florida, one gets Snow crab from Alaska, blue crabs from the Gulf and that ubiquitous crab flavored Pollock that everyone thinks tastes like crab. It's popular, here. YUCK!
Can't get Tom and Jerry mix either, I think because, since it was originally a Yankee thing and this is the South. We drink it without the alcohol, use extract instead. Also, Cuban and Puertorican tamales don't taste like the Mexican tamales that are more readily available in Calif. But I've managed to pick up Tom and Jerry batter when I've been out to Calif around Christmas and Mexican Tamales are now available here. Now if I could just figure out a way to get the crab back home.

Matt said...

You can order north Pacific dungeness crab from these people: http://www.freshseafood.com Obviously, being from California I've never used them.

Later, when the feast is nigh, when I post the recipe for the Fruited Molassas Balls I'll also post the recipe for the best eggnog I've ever tasted. Much better than anything available in stores.

Thre is a hole in the wall taco/burrito place around the corner and down the block from where I lve that takes orders for Christmas tamales.