Friday, July 12, 2019

A Broken Hand, Powdery Mildew, and a Door

I broke my hand on June 20.  It happened when I fell off a step ladder while filling Kathleen's humming bird feeders.  I think I, probably, would not have broken my hand had I not attempted to avoid landing on the mop bucket.  But I did.  And I fell hard on my extended left hand and it broke.  I I knew it was hurt but I didn't know it was broken until 10 days later when I went to the doctor.  Then, on July 5 I had surgery to pin the bones back in place.  It is now 21 days since I broke it, and 7 days since surgery, and it still hurts pretty bad.  They gave me hydrocodone but I am taking 1/2 of what is prescribed for each day because I dislike the side effects.  I have no idea how anyone becomes addicted to opiates.  It's just a yucky feeling.  So I'm taking a lot of ibuprofin and gritting my teeth.

Basil Wenceslas, who at13 years is taller and stronger than I, came over today and helped me do some things I can't do because of my hand.   We went to Home Depot to get a sprayer.  It's a HDX 2 gallon hand pump sprayer.  My son used it to treat the pumpkins and squash for powdery mildew.  The infection was pretty bad but we caught it before there was much damage.  We put 1 quart of vegetable oil, 1 cup of baking soda, and a table spoon of dish washing liquid in to the sprayer, filled it the rest of the way with water, then sprayed it all over he infected plants.

Then, when that was done, Basil and I rehung the door to the room beneath the stairs.  It was fun.  I taught him how to repair the door with wood putty. Then he used my new German screwdrivers to hang the door on the hinges.  It makes me happy to see him doing and learning new things.

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, dear! I'm glad you are on the mend and that your son is able to get the satisfaction of helping you.