Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spreading Good

A couple of days ago a man I worked with had a problem.  And he came up with a way to fix it.

"Matt, I have [company asset].  I need [solution to personal problem].  Can you help me by [lying and stealing].

I answered, "No".

He asked, "why?"

"Because it's evil."

"That's not evil."

"Yes it is, but I can give you the money you need."

"How is it evil"

"It's evil because it's dishonest"

"You church people make me crazy!  Now you are making me feel bad."

"I'm not trying to make you feel bad.  I'm trying to keep you from doing something evil."

Then he walked away with a very sad look on his face.

About an hour later I saw him bouncing through the FIAT studio with a giant smile on his face.  He walked by me and said, "Thanks, Matt.  You helped me do the right thing.  I [solved the problem] the right way."

See how easy it is to keep someone from doing evil?  In this case all I had to do was refuse to participate in it.

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

How encouraging!
A blessed Lent to you, brother.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Well done, Matt. May your Lent continue to be a blessing to you and those around you!

Steve Robinson said...

I love it. Thank you.