Sunday, March 07, 2010

Lentils

One of my favorite things about Lent is that the humble lentil is named for the season. Here is a recipe you might like if you have a crock pot. (My oldest brother gave me one for my birthday last month.)

* 2 cups lentils
* 4 cups water
* 8 cups vegetable broth
* 1 onion, diced
* 3 stalks celery, sliced
* 3 carrots, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Stir together all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Serves 6.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

It's actually note (lentil, the food comes from lens - due to their shape) but it feels like they should be.

and, yummmmmm. Thanks!

GretchenJoanna said...

I am taking a pot of lentil soup to a friend's house today for lunch. It has two kinds of lentils (red and French), butternut squash from my garden, dried tomatoes, canned tomatoes, kale, and about 20 other ingredients I can't even remember now, as I froze it in a more basic form a few weeks ago. Yum!

I should print a cookbook of lentil recipes, as I've found or created so many good ones over the last 40 years. 40 years of lentils!! I hadn't thought of that statistic until this moment....it could be the title of the book.