Saturday, June 20, 2009

Rocket Man: Saturday Soundtrack

When I was little my brother Mark had some Elton John records. This is one of the songs I heard from his room. When it was released in 1972 Rocket Man achieved #6 on the Billboard Magazine pop singles chart. Rolling Stone Magazine listed at #242 Rocket Man on its list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. When I was little I had these little plastic astronauts and a plastic model of a Saturn V rocket. I thought the song was about my toys.

I don't really like Elton John but I think the song is interesting. Here are two versions of it I think are more fun than Mr. John's. The first is by a group of people assembled from classified ads. They had never met or played together before recording this together. Here is the song. (You should really hear the whole story of how thisband was put together.) The other version of the song I like is this one by William Shatner. Don't shoot me.

No comments: