Thursday, February 05, 2009

What To Do When The World Co-opts an Orthodox Saint.

Honestly, I hated hated St. Valentine's day when I was a kid. I was embarrased to give those mushy greetings to my classmates. I didn't know who St. Valentine was. I always thought it was weird to have to give cards to kids i didn't even like. Now, my son Anslem has a class party scheduled for St. Valentine's Day. Well, now, I love am in awe of St. Valentine. And think the way his memory is being celebrated leaves much to be desired. I want Anselm Samuel to have a better experience, a more Christian experience of this day than I had. So, I was looking around on the internet and found this very helpful site.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

That's really cool, thank you.

margaret said...

Thank you - what an excellent resource! In Wales it is a tradition to send cards to one's beloved on St Dwynwen's day http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Wales-History/StDwynwen.htm.