Saturday, March 22, 2008

Escape and Evasion

“I believe in the culture war. And you know what? If I have to take a side in the culture war I’ll take [the conservative Christian] side. Because if you give me the choice of Paris Hilton or Jesus, I’ll take Jesus.”
--Alexandra Pelosi in the NY Times (yes, her mom is the Speaker of the House)


I used to be a petty strong beliver in the culture war. But now I don't see it the same way as I did then. THen I used to think that if we just electedd the right people, passed the right laws, and appointed good judges we would "win". I thought all Christians (and sympathetic Jews) should band together and just take over in one big social movement. It was kind of the frontal assault, heavy cavalry charge version of the culture war. Now I think about it differently.

In wars the movements and actions of individuals ae very important. Especialy to the individuals. Now I think of the culture wars as more of an escape and evasion experience. I've been set free from the enemy's prison by Jesus. He's pointed me toward the friendlies, and given me the equipment I need to get there. It is my main job not to get captured again. On the way to safety I am to help others who want to escape, too. It isn't my job to overthrow the enemy. If I do that I'll be heading in the wrong direction. But by helping others escape I can not help but weaken the enemy, because the enemy's captives are who the enemy uses for soldiers. They are an army of slaves. Every slave set free is one less fighter for the enemy. Now, if I can just keep from getting caught and make it all the way home...

No comments: