Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day

This morning, my wife went into her office and the boys and I stayed home. The boys had oatmeal with maple syrup for breakfast. They watched Charlotte's Web on the computer (the book is better) and played outside with the water hose while I did laundry.

At 11 a.m. Athanasia came home and we all went to a pool party at the YMCA. It was much fun. I really like the Y. The staff knows us by name now. We know some of the other members. Anselm and I came in third in the water balloon toss.

Then we went to Clarke's for lunch. They have the best onion rings I've ever had. Very frighteningly, Basil got away from me and ran out into traffic on El Camino Real. That was terrifying. One car swerved another had to brake hard. We will not go to Clarke's again until Basil is out of this laugh-and-run-away-from-my parents-when-they-call-me phase.

After lunch, Anselm and I dropped his mother and brother off at home to take a nap while we went and got ice cream at Rick's. 38 years ago my sister worked there behind the counter. I always think of that when I go there. Anselm had a flavor called "blue moon". It was too sweet for my tastes. I had a scoop of something called "computer chip". It was bitter cocoa and orange with bitter sweet chocolate chips. It was very good. Then, since we are Californians, we bought a tri-tip (At a beautifully low price, it cost less than hamburger!) to grill for supper.

About six o'clock we grilled the meat over a hardwood fire and ate a muskmelon while wating for it to be done. After supper we went to the park in Cupertino to watch the fire works. It was a lot of fun. Anselm and Basil ran around playing with the other little kids in the twilight. There were little frogs crawling through the grass. I think they were hunting the June bugs. We ate water melon while the stars came out. Just before the fire works were about to start the sprinklers came on!!! (I bet someone hears from the mayor on Monday.) Imagine about hundreds of people scrambling to get off the grass, carrying small children, blankets,and ice-chests in a mad dash to the edge of the fields. It was very funny.

The show was excellent, as always.

Happy birthday, America. Thanks for having us.

No comments: