Thursday, May 19, 2005

How Seinfeld Made Me a Better Dad

The other day my wife and my little boy and I all went out to dinner. The little boy, it seemed, had forgotten everything he had read in the "Behavior in Public" memo.

So, I was faced with a choice let him be all taliban on the staff and other patrons or take direct action. I chose direct action. But what action. I don't know where it came from but suddenly out of my mouth came these words: "That's it! No soup for you!"

Immediately, his lip began to quiver, his eyes teared up, and he said in a quiet and trembling voice "No soup? No soup for me? I'll be good, Daddy". And from that point on he was good.

Thank you Seinfeld. Thank you Soup Nazi. You helped me restore civilization at our table and kept me from having to beat my son in public, which would have embarrassed my wife.

No comments: