Sunday, November 29, 2020

Seed Companies I Like

I used to only buy plants and seeds from Home Depot or a local garden store in Cupertino named Yamigami's.  But Kathleen and I started watching videos put out by Roots and Refuge Farm about a year and a half ago.  And from those videos and some of the other fans of those videos I became a customer of several seed companies.  In no particular order, here are my favorites.

1. Wild Boar Farms in northern California breeds crazy beautiful tomatoes.  

2. If you like cool looking stickers to put on your lap top or bumper in addition to rare vegetable seeds to plant in your garden look no further than Victory Seeds.  They are also the only supplier of tobacco seeds I know about.  I bought some but I haven't planted them yet.  This is one of my favorite companies to do business with.  Very fast delivery.

3. A problem I have in my garden is a lack of pollinators.  I think it is because the landscapers in my neighborhood use a lot of pesticides, but I am not sure.  Helping me solve that problem by offering seeds for dozens of pollinator attracting plants is Park Seed.  They also sell tall seed starting trays.  If you've ever tried to start seeds in a typically sized tray you hae run into the problem of your seedlings getting too tall before you are ready to plant them in the ground.  There "bio-dome" product helps with that.

4. Maybe you've heard of the Open Seed movement.  It is a reaction against Big Ag's efforts to patent seeds and use the law to control access to food.  Fedco Seeds is on the forefront of the movement.  Support them!

5.   The Name says it all:  Totally Tomatoes.

6.  I like Pinetree Garden Seeds, a family owned business out of Maine, and I wish I'd read their article about gardening without breaking the bank before I started gardening.  Also, they sell seeds for a black brandywine tomato that is absolutely gorgeous.

7.  I haven't actually bought anything from MI Gardener but I watch their videos on youtube.  They have helped me so much with my garden I feel like helping them out by putting a link to their seed business on this list.  They taught me how to grow beets, how to prune bell peppers, and lots of other stuff.  I am sure their seeds are high quality, too.

8.  This is a seed company all preppers should love; also anyone who pays attention to the past because they know the future needs the past.  Seed Savers is a seed bank, a business, and a political movement.

9. High Mowing is, really, an organic and non-GMO seed wholesaler but they sell to the public, too.    

10.  Gosh, the seeds from Hudson Valley are good, but the packaging is art.  You're going to love opening your mail and finding these beautiful seed packets inside.  You'll want to frame them and hang them on your walls.

11 & 12 .  It's kind of funny that Fruition and Baker are the last companies on my list because they are the companies I get most of my seeds from.  I love doing business with them.  They always helpful on the phone, quick to deliver, and the seeds I buy from them have high germination rates.  I think these two companies are responsible for 1/2 the food grown in our garden.

1 comment:

gretchenjoanna said...

I will have fun following all these links. My recent favorite seed sellers are Seed Savers Exchange and Mary's Heirloom Seeds. Forty years ago we bought all our seeds -- and it was a LOT! -- from Pinetree. And Nichols Garden Nursery -- my goodness, I haven't even thought of their store for ages, but the name was stored in that part of my mind and just popped up....