Sunday, August 23, 2020

Doing nothing on the taxpayer's dime.

I was supposed to be out, going door to door, counting people for the United States today, but two hours ago the computers failed and I have nothing to do but, as my boss texted me, "Stand by for further instructions."   So, I am standing by. 

While standing by I went out to the garden with Kathleen and picked some cucumbers and tomatoes.  I am amazed by the graffiti aubergines.  They are very pretty, having purple and white stripes.  The larger ones are 10-12 inches long and 4-5 inches in diameter.  This is our first time to grow them and we are not sure when to pick them.  I turned the compost and buried a dead opossum in the middle of the pile.  I did a little Christmas shopping on eBay and Amazon.  I looked at the news about the fires raging all over California. I looked at the Apple Farm website as a possible getaway for Kathleen and I in October.   I've been there a couple of times, the first time in 2010, but have never actually spent the night in one of their cottages. 

Update:   They fixed the problem.  Off to work I go!

2nd update:  I'm home from work now.  The census is so much fun.  I love getting to meet all my neighbors. East San Jose is a pretty rough place.  Some people would call it a slum.  But the criminal element gets all the attention to the detriment of the reputation of the neighborhood.  I meet lots of really nice people.  Most of them go to church at Our Lady of Guadalupe, the biggest Catholic Church in the neighborhood, or to Five Wounds, the totally gorgeous Portuguese church.    Most of the rest go to one of the various Pentecostal churches in the neighborhood, such as La Puerta Abierta or the "Oneness" East Valley Pentecostal Church, or to one of the several small baptist churches. I don't ask everyone where they go to church (its not one of the census questions) but it there is a Cross above the door or araound the neck of the person wha answers the door I always ask, "Hey, you're a Christian!  So am I! Where do you go to church?"

I wanted to mention that my son Anselm is taking Kathleen's course on economics.  It is a course she and I designed together and is, I think, pretty amazing.  He is not officially enrolled because he is officially a high school graduate, but because he never took an economics course he wanted to take one.  If were not for the wuhan virus he wouldn't be able to take her course, but because of covid she is teaching all her class online, which means my son can take the class.  His nameday was a couple of days ago so I bought him three of the textbooks for the class:  The Law by Bastiat, The Road to Serfdom by Hayek, and Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt. 

2 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

Your talk about eggplants brings to mind a scene from the giant Dharavi slum I visited in Mumbai. I was on a tour and we were asked to not take pictures; I saw many colorful sights that I kept telling myself, "You must describe that scene in words right now in your mind - don't forget!"

We went through many residential areas where we had to stoop to walk through virtual tunnels past doorways with only curtains, but at the end we were walking down one broad street, maybe this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Dharavi_slum_in_Mumbai%2C_India_August_2009_3.jpg

where we passed a little park-like setting that smelled of wonderful incense. Just past there, the market, where two beautiful young women in bright saris, clean and radiant, were smiling and chatting over a square bin of small white eggplants the size of ostrich eggs.

I only ever tried growing eggplant once on this property, the usual big ones. I suppose the small ones don't take as many days to ripen, and I would get more of them in our summers that are often too cool to completely satisfy gardeners. I looked at pictures online, of Graffiti, and they vary a lot. Are yours long or fat? They don't seem to get that same dark purple of most eggplants, but more of a wine color in the colored part.

How do you like to cook eggplant? I hope you'll share some recipes!

Jennifer said...

The larger ones are 10-12 inches long and 4-5 inches in diameter. This is our first time to grow them and we are not sure when to pick them. H35-660 Exam Dumps