Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Radio, part two

When I was 6 or 7 years old my brother Mark got a job selling Bison vacuum cleaners door to door.  It was the same year I caught both the mumps and the chicken pox.  He gave a teddy bear or a transistor radio to everyone who let him do a demonstration.   He gave me one of the radios.  The cool thing about it is that it was attached to a wristband like a watch.  My mom, following the watch theme, tuned the radio to pick up the signal of KLOK 1170 kHz AM.  She said they would announce the time.  That was the first time I ever thought of radio doing something useful.  It was also my  first exposure to "Oldies", rock music from the 50s and early 60s.  One thing I remember about the Bison is that it messed up radio reception.  I guess the FCC is stricter now about electrical tools interfering with radio signals.

No comments: