Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Ski Week

This is Tuesday of what people in this part of California call ski week. All the schools are closed for the week and many people drive up unto the mountains to go skiing.  I am not.  Mosly, I am working around the house.  Yesterday I rehung a door that was falling off its hinges,  Then my boys came over and I made dinner of roast beef threaded with bacon.  I also made bread pudding.  I couldn't eat it but everyone else loved it.  That made me happy.  After dinner we played board games.

Basil spent the night.  We woke up, said morning prayers, then Kathleen made us ommletts for breakfast.  After that we wend to the nursery to see if they had any tomato plants.  They didn't.  So we bought a couple of bags of potting soil and some flower seeds.

When we got home we dug out a new bed for sunflowers and pumpkins.  Its about 4 yards by 3 yards.  We also planted some flowers, and got the three raised beds ready for planting.  There are a couple of cold nights predicted this week but I think it will be safe to put the seedlings (onions, sunflowers, and zinnias) I started 3 weeks ago out in the Earth. 

After we dug the new bed (it was hard work.  Nothing had grown in that soil for 20 years since it was covered in 3 inches of crushed granite.) Basil went somewhere with his mom and I came in to get supper started.  I am baking a meat pie.  It is from last nights left over roast beef and bacon. I added one diced onion, two diced potatoes, 3 cloves minced garlic, allspice, black pepper, salt, shredded cheese, and mushrooms. And it is all in a pastry shell. 

I taught Kathleen's kids how to make ice cream 3 nights ago.  I think I am their favorite person right now.

I have run out of money to pay for National University's tuition.  So, it looks like I am going to be out of their internship program in a couple of weeks.  I don't know if the school district will be able to keep me on as a teacher without me being in an accredited internship program.  Well, I can't make $6,000 appear out of thin air.  I really wish I had never embarked on this road but had remained a substitute teacher.  As it is now, I owe tens of thousands of dollars for a program I will never finish.  Oh well, at least, my debts can't be inherited by my children. In the meantime, I have begun looking for other work. 

No comments: