Monday, September 20, 2010

Moved but not yet unpacked

Our move was accomplished.  Most of our stuff has been unpacked.  In the unpacking I found my Mother's recipe for chile verde.

"CHILE VERDE 
2 or more cups boiling water
1 lb. round steak cubed
1 Tbl spon flour
2 Tbl  oil
1 sm. onion chopped
6-8 green chiles chopped
1 clove carlic chopped
1 t spoon salt
1/8 t spoon pepper
1 small can tomatoes

Sprinkle steak with flouer and brown steak and onions in oil.
Add chiles, garlic & water & seasonings (salt & pepper).
After simmering 1 hr. add tomatoes & more water, if needed.
Serve over steamed rice.
(You may want to double this.)"

The only time I cooked this - at a competition 10 or 11 years ago - I did double the recipe, except for the chiles.  I don't remember what kind of chiles my mother used.  I used jalapeños but thought they might be too hot for some of the people judging the competition.  Also,  I added 1/2 pound of quartered tomatillos when I added the chiles.   Instead of rice, I served with flour tortillas.

Now, I just wish I could find my Mother's recipes for pinapple fritters and twice-cooked ginger pork.

No comments: