Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Regret

"Thou shalt not slay the child by procuring abortion; nor, again, shalt thou destroy it after it is born. Thou shalt not withdraw thy hand from thy son, or from thy daughter, but from their infancy thou shalt teach them the fear of the Lord." ~Epistle of Barnabas: Chapter XIX


I never took part in an abortion but O, how terribly I failed my two oldest sons. Will the rest of my life spent in prayer be enough to help them?


UPDATE: My aunt Joann used my Aunt Nettie's facebook account to send me this message:

"Aunt Joann here....read your blog re your oldest boys, and didn't know how to send a comment, so I'll do it here. I heard someone say once "you do the best you can until you know better, then you do better". Parenting classes aren't required before we reproduce, so we just have to fly by the seat of our pants until we learn how to do it better. God is a Redeemer, so along with your praying, BELIEVE! Love you"

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I love what your aunt said. Every day I am reminded at how much I messed up parenting, but like all things, I pick myself up and move on and pray they still like me.

You are a fantastic father. Your kids are blessed.

Athanasia said...

I've spoken to my father at length about regrets. He asked me, "Did you do the best that you could with the information you had at the time?" My answer, "Yes." His reply, "Then there is nothing to regret. You did your best and did nothing in malice or with ill-intent."

I've hung on to those words like a lifeline. They have helped.

God bless you Matt.