Monday, November 15, 2004

Advent Reading

I just ordrered "The Winter Pascha" by Fr. Tom Hopko. I have a conflicted opinion of him. On one hand it was a video of a lecture he gave at St. Vlad's that did more than anything to show me that the Theotokos is not an exception to humanity, but is the goal of humanity. On the other hand, it was a talk by him at Holy Trinity Cathedral about the Feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple that made me wonder why he was allowed to be a priest. If I understood him correctly, he said something that disagreed with the literalism of St. John of San Francisco, which, to me, is the only view that makes sense. But, maybe, I misunderstood what Father Tom was saying. I often misunderstand what people say.

I also ordered "Of Water and the Spirit" by the venerable Alexander Schmemann. I read this book when I was a catachumen. I think it is time for a re-read.

So, that is my scheduled Advent reading. What are you reading during Advent?

3 comments:

Huw Richardson said...

You heard Fr Tom correctly - I was there! It's ironic that you'd note Fr Alexander as well in this context: according to the traditionalists, both are equally part of the "western captivity" of Orthodoxy, along with Fr Alexander Men, Fr Lev Gillet, et al. They are considered people who let the secularism and ecumenism of the west infiltrate too much into their Orthodoxy.

But I rather love Fr Alexander's work until it comes to "liturgical renewal". On that last front he is decidedly not traditional.

Still, even Saints can be wrong and... there is always hope: Fr Tom spoke at Fr Seraphim's 20th panikhida in Platina. Fr Alexander was the teacher of Fr Victor.

I hear many many good things about Winter Pascha. I hope to hear good posts from you on the book! (Did you order directly from SVS? Do they no longer have it at HTC bookstore?)

Matt said...

About a month ago I saw "Winter Pascha" on the candle stand. But I haven't seen it since. It is my guess that it is sold out. I ordered it directly from St. Vlad's.

About Fr. Tom: I was hoping I misuderstood. I'm sorry that what I heard was what he said. :(
If people stay on that road for very long they wind up like Spong.

I know very little about Fr. Alexander. I've only read two of his books.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Hi Matt
Happy Name day , and Many years !
I have The Winter Pascha book and I think it is really rather good.