Sunday, September 27, 2026

Sonia Henie's Tutu

All through the 1990s and early 2000s I listened to Click and Clack on KQED-FM out of San Francisco. Some of my happiest memories are of me and my boys, all four of them, driving in the car and listening to their show. At least, once a month Click or Clack would exclaim "Sonja Henie's Tutu" instead of swearing. I had no idea who Sonja Henie was but once in a while I would also hear her name in games of Trivial Pursuit but I didn't really know much about her.

About ten years ago Kathleen, who takes great joy in trying to stump me with trivia questions thought she had me when she asked me who won the gold medal at the 1928 Olympics. Well, I didn't know but I did know the name of one famous ice skater. So when I said Sonja Henie and it was the right answer Kathleen said in atitude of amazement, "Who are you?" I thought that was very funny.

Well, tonight I went to the Stanford Theater to see an old musical, Sun Valley Seredade. I got there a couple of minutes late so I missed the opening credits and I had no idea Sonja Henie was an actress but as soon as I saw her on ice I asked myself, could that be Sonja Henie? I stayed to the closing credits to find out, and it was! Wow! After all these years to see her face. I know it's a little thing but it made me happy. It was a pretty dumb movie, just an excuse to see Glen Miller, the Nicholas Brothers, and Sonja Henie but it was a lot of fun. I am so glad the Stanford Theater exists.

No comments: