Saturday, May 29, 2021

Hunting Clothes

I work three nights per week at Bass Pro Shops. It's mostly fun and I get a good discount. Some of the stuff we sell is amazing good quality and I use it all the time. But some of the stuff we sell I would NEVER use and some stuff that is made or sold by other companies is so good I feel envy on behalf of my company. I wish we sold that stuff instead of or in addition to the stuff we do sell.

For example, if you are at my store and want to buy hunting clothes, you had better like camoflage patterns because, with the exceprion of one shooting shitrt and upland jeans (I haven't worn jeans since 1993), that is all you are going to find. Now, I have an opinion of camoflage hunting clothes and it is not very favorable. Not only is it unflattering but it is also unnecceasy. Have you looked at what Americans
wore for hunting 70 years ago? It was red plaid from Pendleton and Woolrich, for goodness sake! Only putting sequins on thhose clothes could have made them more visible. (Sadly, Woolrich no longer makes those beutifull red and black plaid jackets and coats.) So, if our forefathers were successful hunters wearing red plaid why do American hunters today think they have to have everyting in Mossy Oak camoflage? It's weird!

Though I wouldn't wear cammo for hunting, I don't think we should stop selling it. There are people who love it, though I do not understand why. I merely think we should sell good looking hunting clothes in addition to the camoflage stuff. Here is a list of the hunting clothing I would add to my store's inventory, if I had the power:

Mens Shirts
Jack Pyke's Countryman Check Shirt
L.L. Bean's Double L Field Shirt
Musto's Classic Twill Shirt
Cording's Tattersall Shirt
Baretta's Selous Sport Shirt
Although my store does sell some nice plaid shirts from the store-owned RedHead brand, I think we should also sell Pendleton shirts because of their extremely high quality and classic standing in American culture.

Women's Shirts
Orvis Pro LT Hunting Shirt
Jack Pyke's Lady's Countryman Shirt
Baretta's Women's TM Field Shirt

Men's Trousers and Breeks
Deerhunter Strike Trousers
Axford Waterproof Lightweight Breeks
Columbia's Ptarmigan Pants

Womens Trousers and Breeks
William Evans Ladies Pall Mall Breeks
Kevin's Huntress Stretch Briar Pants

Ties
All of Jack Pyke's hunting ties
Brooks Brothers Bird Dog Tie
Paolo Albizatti's Hunting Scene Tie

Men's Jackets, waistcoats, and Gillets
Walkeer and Hawkes Derby Tweed Shooting Hunting Country Jacket
The entire gillet collection at the British Tweed Company

Women's Jackets and Waistcoats
Walker and Hawke's Ladies Derby Tweed Shooting Jacket
Alain Paine Rutland Tweed Shooting Coat
The entire range of Walker and Hawke's gillets for women

I have not included many other things, such as boots, gaiters, socks, hats, gloves, scarfs, garters (for breeks), or protective eyewear. Neither have I recommended gear such as bags, gun slips (my store doesn't sell even one leather gun slip!), ammunition wallets, canteens (my store does sell a nice variety of these), knives (we sell some truly excellent knives!), or flasks (only for when the shooting is over). Maybe I'll do another post on those things.

No comments: