Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Evangelism via food in my anthropology clas

The assignment: "Bring to class a food item from another culture. Describe how it is prepared, and talk about any ceremonial use."

I made kolyva. (3 cups boiled wheat grains, 2 cups finely chopped toasted pecans, 2 cups honey. Cross of raisins on top.)

I talked about how the family brings the kolyva to church, described some of the prayers, talked about Jesus' ressurection and our resurrection. Talked about how kolyva is sweet because for a Christian death is no longer bitter, quoted Jesus' words about a grain of wheat falling to the groud. Everyone seemed to like the kolyva.

Response? Two (out of 30) people asked me for more information. Taking books to them on Wednesday.

In other news, I thought I understood what I was doing in Statistics and Probability. I was wrong. I just got the results back from the midterm exam. Worst grade I have ever received. It is looking less likely that I will pass this course. Oh, well. I can take it again next quarter.

No comments: